Tuesday 29 March 2011

Grr Demons!

Another day, another brilliantly crafted masterpiece of film. But...not really. But first, I think I'm gonna start a little "request-a-movie" type deal. I can pick a movie a day to watch, but hey where's the fun in that? You guys pick it. Leave a little comment with the name of the horror movie, I'll watch the piece of crap and give you my 2 cents about it. But please keep it in the horror range, I really don't feel like reviewing the "Time Traveler's Wife" -_-. But yes, without further ado, ladies and gentlemen I give you...

Night of the Demons

This is what used to scare the
poops out of me...can you believe it?
Alright, well first of all I don't know if many people remember this, but it is technically a remake of the 1988 film of the same name. I never saw the first one, but I always remember seeing the cover for it in Blockbuster and just that was enough to scare the crap out of me as a kid. Then they came out with a second and third one, which makes this number four, yay! The 1988 one was about a girl, named Angela, who was throwing a Halloween party inside an old funeral parlor. Then of course, as we all know teenagers love to do, they have a 'seance,' and unwittingly awaken some mystical evil force which begins possessing them one by one. Okay, that's the original out of the way, now lets move on to the good stuff. 

The new one starts off with some background information. This time 'round it's an old plantation-like house in New Orleans where some people went missing a hundred years ago give or take. Again a girl named Angela is having a Halloween party at the spooky ol' place and inviting as many people as she possibly can. If you thought "Well, at least there's about two-hundred teenagers in a house with demons, so at least we're gonna get some good gore going" you and I would be in the same boat my friend. But alas this was not the case, the police shut down the party, forcing all but seven people to leave. Soon enough the demons start appearing and the blood starts flowing. 


Well, right off the bat we know that the movie's going to be good, John Connor's in it for Christ's sake! That's right, he's back. The guy who played John Connor in Terminator 2, I couldn't even remember his name, I had to look it up. Edward Furlong ladies and gentlemen. Now, my immediate problem with this was he is supposed to be this teenage girl's ex-boyfriend. However, correct me if I'm wrong but he's what? Like 35 maybe a little older? Does no one else find it creepy that this guy is dating someone 15, possibly more, years younger than him? He's also not looking too good, especially to be the main hero of the film. The film's also got Shannon Elizabeth in it, which is always a plus. I seem to vaguely remember her being in some pg-13 rated scene in, oh what was it...American Pie? Ah the good old days. The acting is 'meh' to put it in scholarly terms. I mean what do you really expect from a horror movie?

The movie does have gore, not as much as I was hoping maybe, but enough to satisfy me that's for sure. The scene where the girl gets her face literally bitten off was one of my personal favorites. I started cheering for the demons at certain points because the movie began to offer nothing more then gory deaths. Overall? Five out of ten. That five is all gore, watch it if that's what you want - a gory film. But plain and simple, it's not scary. It felt like I was watching "Halloweentown" at certain points and not a legitimate horror movie. I don't think Hollywood's ever going to learn that once you make a cult classic, you leave it be. 

Or, at least that's my 2 cents anyway.





6 comments:

  1. There was a remake? I'll have to check that out, I loved the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gore yes! I'm gonn have to check this out for sure nice in depth write up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always enjoyed oldschool horror movies

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love how hollywood needs to remake every good movie they've ever made

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed -_- it's a total money-grab and they really just come out of it looking like they were willing to destroy classics, which fans love, in order to make a few more dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are some cheaaap movies ^^

    ReplyDelete