Tuesday 29 March 2011

Election Season Eh?

Mhmm, it's that time of year again. When parties get together in times of joy and merriment, to declare that in fact they do not have confidence in their government. Ah, isn't it beautiful? The news is flooded, heated debates flying left and right, and little red and blue signs popping up all across the nation.

Damn he loves those jets.
But seriously, again? Really? At this point I don't care who I vote for as long as I know they'll stay in power. I'm completely willing to give Harper the majority as long as this election crap goes away. Now, before I go on, I must tell you something. It is true, though I've been trying to hide it for some time now, that I...am...in fact...a Conservative. I know, I know, I own a couple jets and ride around my ranch all day big whoop. But don't sum me up all at once now. Even I have my beefs with Harper. I used to like the guy, well I still do in some ways, but I've gotta give it to the left on this one - the fighter jets? What the f!@# is he thinking? I support the Liberals on that one. That is absolutely ridiculous. We have enough debt and economic problems right now, we don't really need to be spending an additional sixteen to twenty-nine billion dollars on fighter jets. The simple concept of being able to bomb Libya has got him all worked up and excited. Canada is not in a present state of any danger Mr. Harper. Last time I checked, we were not the threat of a German air-raid and won't be anytime soon.

Ha.
Now, now, now hold up a moment. All this Harper criticism's got me feeling like "hey, maybe I should reconsider who I vote for this year, what are my other options?" Well I've got bad news for myself - there are no other options. I'm sorry Liberals, I love your party. It's an incredible party with a history which boasts some of the most well known and well respected Prime Ministers of all time. But...Ignatieff? The Canadian Learning Passport, which Ignatieff announced yesterday, is the first major piece of policy I've admired the Liberals for conceiving. It's also because I'm a student and I realize that university costs too much. It's true, it does. While this plan sounds incredible, and believe me I'd rather this then the jets, it's still going to cost the country billions. Why don't we, instead of promising revolutionary new policies, just focus on making our economy not suck? Have we ever considered that maybe Canada's not too bad right now? Why don't we take a look at that debt? Maybe it's just my Conservative mind at work, but I don't like the idea that we owe hundreds of billions of dollars to other nations.

But back to Iggy for a moment here. While the Liberals say that the Conservative ads of him "Not coming back for you" are cruel and untrue - it's, well, true. The guy hardly even lives here, why should he be Prime Minister? If George Bush could run for Prime Minister of Canada, would you vote for him? I hope not. The Liberals just seem to 'wishy-washy' for me these days. Pick something to stand behind and stick with it already. You can't please everyone it's just impossible, plain and simple. Iggy's party has made countless promises that they simply cannot fulfill. Harper put it best in his 2005-2006 election when he said "I believe it's better to light one candle than to promise a million bulbs."

Anyway, now you hopefully have a good stance on where I sit in terms of this whole politics business. I'll keep you up to date on what's happening during this campaign and what I think about it. But I think this election has the potential for there to be some major upsets. Could get interesting.

Or, at least that's my 2 cents anyway.


9 comments:

  1. Canadian politics?
    Does not compute...

    ReplyDelete
  2. heh^

    as a canadian i must admit, our politics aren't that exciting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most politics aren't very exciting.
    I'm gonna post a comic i drew about politicians tomorrow, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhh, what?

    The only thing I enjoy about politics...is debating. I love arguing and opening minds to my view on things. Not saying that those who oppose are wrong, but my idea is better. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't understand Kid at Heart? Who is that directed to?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Was a really good read! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When election is soon, every politician is pretending to be noble and honest. Yeah...
    Following

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy oh boy, Canadian politics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting and informing post. It's nice to get a view on the Canadian political system as I live in Denmark and don't know much about it over there.

    ReplyDelete